|Menominee, MI, Feb. 9, 2011.
Olive L. Moore
(John F. Cushing 1928 - 1966, James E. Skelly 1966 -
Originally designed and built with a low
superstructure for passage beneath the low bridges of the waterways in and
around Chicago, this large tugboat was built in 1928 as hull # 241 by
Manitowoc Ship Building Inc. of Manitowoc, WI. The tug was launched
April 16, 1928 as the John F. Cushing for the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock
Co. of Chicago, IL. She was powered by a 1928 built Busch-Sulzer model
6-CM-17 6-cylinder 1,000 b.h.p. (745 kw) diesel engine.
The John F. Cushing remained with Great Lakes
Dredge and Dock until 1965 when the tug was acquired by the Chicago Marine
Fueling Service, Inc. and renamed James E. Scully. Her tenure with
this company was short as she was acquired by a Robert C. Fox of Deerfield,
IL in 1966. That same year, the ownership of the tug passed to the
Socony Mobil Oil Co., Inc. of New York, NY who renamed her Olive L. Moore.
As the Olive L. Moore, on May 5, 1966, the tug ran aground about 1/2 mile
(.8 k) from shore between Muskegon and Ludington, MI after striking her tow
and holing herself. The tug and barge were in transit from Chicago to
Rockland, ME. After temporary repairs were completed, the tug was tied
up at the William W. Stender yard at Bay city, MI and was offered for sale
by the U.S. Marshal of Detroit on September 21, 1967.
The tug was purchased by South Range Aggregates
Co. of South Range, MI in 1968 (a VanEnkevort family owned company) after
being rebuilt and repowered at the Stender yard during the winter of
1967/68. The tug was repowered with a Fairbanks Morse 12-38D8-1/8
12-cylinder 2,000 b.h.p (1,490 kw) diesel engine built by Fairbanks Morse
(Canada) Ltd., Kingston, ON. The Olive L. Moore's ownership has
remained with VanEnkevort family owned or affiliated companies since 1968.
On November 2, 1972, the towline between the Olive L. Moore and the barge
A.E. Nettleton parted during a snowstorm with gale force winds 17 miles
(27.36 k) west of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Lake Superior. The barge
developed a 15 degree list as its grain cargo shifted. Three of the
barge's 5 man crew were airlifted by U.S.C.G. helicopter to the tug to help
re-rig the towline. The barge was towed to the Lily Pond on the
Keweenaw Waterway to trim its cargo. Of note, the A.E. Nettleton had
been converted to a push barge after being chartered by Escanaba Towing Co.
of Escanaba, MI in 1971. Escanaba Towing was also the owner of the
Olive L. Moore at the time of the occurrence.
From 1979 to 1990, the Olive L. Moore had been
used as a conventional push/tow tug mated to the self-unloading (crane)
barge Buckeye (2). The former steamer Buckeye (2) had been purchased
from Oglebay Norton by family owned Lake Transportation Co. of Toledo, OH in
1979. The tug was rebuilt and repowered again in 1980 with 2 Alco
16V251 four stroke cycle, v-16 cylinder 2,915 b.h.p. (2,174 kw) diesel engines. In 1991, the Olive L.
Moore was converted to an articulated tug at Menominee, WI by All Purpose
Marine Products (APMP) with the installation of an APMP designed "Hydraconn"
connector and was mated to the similarly converted chartered self-unloading
barge McKee Sons. APMP is a VanEnkevort family owned business.
On October 15, 1998, the Olive L. Moore pushing
the McKee Sons ran aground in the Saginaw River while inbound to the Bay
Aggregates dock, Bay City, MI. The pair were freed the next day with
no apparent damage after lightering 900 tons (914 mt) into the Joseph H.
Frantz. After seeing only limited use in 2000, the McKee Sons was
chartered to Grand River Navigation Co. with the Olive L. Moore returning to
Escanaba, MI to tie up. The tug saw very little service until January of
2003 when she towed the old vehicle ferry Viking I from Erie, PA to
Menominee, MI. The tow departed Erie on January 14 arriving at
Menominee on January 19.
After another period of relative inactivity, the
tug towed the former Oglebay Norton self-unloader Buckeye (3) from Toledo,
OH to Erie, PA arriving there on December 4, 2005. The Buckeye had
been purchased by Buckeye Holdings, LLC of Menominee, MI to be converted to
an articulated barge at Erie, PA. As the assigned tug for the new
barge, the Olive L. Moore returned to Escanaba, MI for the necessary
modifications. Included in these modifications was a raised pilothouse
to allow for proper sight-of-eye over the self-unloading equipment of the
barge. Now also owned by Buckeye Holdings, LLC, the Olive L. Moore
returned to Erie to be paired with the newly named self-unloading
articulated barge Lewis J. Kuber in August of
In February 2011 Rand Logisitcs acquired the two self-unloading tug barges, Lewis J. Kuber and James L. Kuber, from KK Integrated Shipping for $35.5 million in cash as well as more than 1.3 million shares of its common stock. The vessels are operated by Grand River Navigation.
|| 125' 00"
|| 39' 02
|| 13' 09"
| Gross Tonnage
|| 524 tons
| Power (diesel)
b.h.p. (4,348 kw)
Menominee, MI, Apr. 2, 2007. Dick Lund
Stern view at Menominee, Apr. 17, 2008. Dick Lund
Leaving Menominee in the notch of barge
Lewis J. Kuber, Apr. 17, 2008. Dick Lund
Rebuilding at Escanaba, MI June 3, 2006.
New aluminum pilothouse June 4, 2006.
Bow view, July 18, 2006. Joey Reaume
Escanaba, MI July 26, 2006. Mike Nicholls
Bow view, Erie, PA Aug, 21, 2006.
Another view, Aug. 21, 2006.
At Stoneport, MI Sept. 19, 2006.
Ben & Chanda McClain
Another view. Ben & Chanda McClain
Saginaw River, Sept. 21, 2006. Joe Martin
Arriving at Menominee, MI, Apr. 2, 2007.
Stern view. Dick Lund
Into the notch of the Lewis J. Kuber, Apr. 2, 2007.
Defoe Shipbuilding, Bay City, MI in 1966.
Sid B. Ferris photo, courtesy of
Wade P. Streeter