The 108 gross ton tug Adanac, which is Canada spelled backwards, was built by the Western Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company of Port Arthur, ON, in 1913. The 80 foot, 3 inch long by 19
foot wide by 11 foot deep vessel was originally known as the Edward C. Whalen (C134013) and was registered at 113 gross and 77 net tons.
Over the years, this vessel worked for the Great Lakes Dredging and Contracting Company Ltd., Marine Industries Ltd., and the Consolidated Dredging Company. The tug sank about a
half mile southeast of Corbeil Point, Lake Superior, off the Batchawana River, on June 8, 1954.
After being salvaged the vessel was brought to Sault Ste. Marie in 1955 by A. B. McLean Ltd. It remained idle until rebuilt as the John McLean in 1965-66. The tug returned to
service on their account and was used to tow company barges. It was also engaged in the successful refloating of stranded freighters such as the Christine in 1972 and Frank Purnell in
1977. It joined Purvis Marine Ltd. in 1994 and was renamed Adanac in 1995.
There have been three engines used in her 93 years on the lakes. The first was a two-cylinder steeple compound steam engine of 350 ihp manufactured by the builder. The vessel was
repowered with a 12-cylinder 6.25" x 8" Caterpillar diesel Model D-398 of 765 bhp when rebuilt in 1965 – 66. Then, in 1996 the ship was repowered with another 12-cylinder Model D-398
Caterpillar diesel of 900 horsepower that had previously served the Rod McLean.
Adanac sank at the Essar Steel Algoma Dock on Feb. 28, 2010, but was soon refloated and repaired. It continues to service Purvis as Adanac III.
Adapted with permission from "The Ships of the Purvis Marine Fleet" by Buck Longhurst, Skip Gillham.